HazMat and Arrest After Student Follows YouTube Instructions 

Durham, NH – A University of New Hampshire PhD student called 911 after thinking he may have been exposed to dimethyl mercury he made inside his home.

He told responders mixing chemicals caused a flash-burn, creating smoke and toxic vapor.  He another tenant may have also been exposed to the chemicals

He was transported to the hospital where he was treated and released.  

A search warrant was executed by the NH Attorney General’s Office, State Police, Durham FD, the Seacoast Technical Assistance Response Team (START), and Southeastern New Hampshire Hazardous Material Mutual Aid District.  

Mercury, sodium metal, sodium iodide, and dimethyl sulfate were reportedly involved in the incident. 

The occupant is facing charges for alleged reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and improper disposal of hazardous materials.